Thursday, July 2, 2009

Let us pray . . .

I was enlightened recently by a handout in Bible study. It breaks down the Model Prayer given in Matt 6. 9-13, when Jesus taught the disciples how to pray. As expected, I found that the prayer is more than just a prayer, it's a lesson we all need to embrace. (I have added my personal thoughts on each part.)


From: ("If God Talked Out Loud..." by Clyde Lee Herring pg.13-21. 1977 Broadman Press Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 76-27479.)

I cannot pray "OUR," if my faith has no room for others and their need.
My pastor told us to pray for others in OUR time of need and watch God help us, too. I tried this and it took the focus off of self and I felt better instantly. I also became aware of how selfish my prayers were.

I cannot pray "FATHER," if I do not demonstrate this relationship to God in my daily living.
I never call strangers Dad. I refused to even call my step-father Dad. That moniker was reserved for the man who really got all my love as my father. So, how can I call God "Father" when I treat Him like a stranger and don't really know Him?

I cannot pray "WHO ART IN HEAVEN," if all of my interests and pursuits are in earthly things.
If the only focus I have is on "my world" I'll never stop to think about God's reign over everything. My goals will be aimed at earthly living when they should be aimed at eternal living.

I cannot pray "HALLOWED BE THY NAME," if I am not striving for God's help to be holy.
Hallowed means set apart, devote, treat as holy. My actions should be setting God apart by devoting time to Him, treating Him with reverence and mimicking Him through word and deed.

I cannot pray, "THY KINGDOM COME," if I am unwilling to accept God's rule in my life.
Kingdom is from the greek "basilea" meaning not the actual kingdom but the right to rule or authority. Come is from the greek "erchomai" meaning to establish or find place. I must give God the authority to rule over my ENTIRE life and ask Him daily to establish His kingdom in me.

I cannot pray "THY WILL BE DONE," if I am unwilling or resentful of having it in my life.
My pastor told us that if we find that our prayers aren't being answered, start asking God to let His will be done and not ours. Watch and see how quickly He'll start to move . . .

I cannot pray "IN EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN," unless I am truly ready to give myself to God's service here and now.
I wouldn't try to have my way in Heaven, the place where I KNOW God is running things. So, in order to submit to Him I must let Him have His way in "my world", too.

I cannot pray "GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD," without expending honest effort for it or if I would withhold from my neighbor the bread I receive.
I can't worry about the light bill due on the 15th or the car note that was due last month. If I am aligned with God's will, and being a good steward over my money, then whether or not I lose my job God is never in a recession. I must praise Him for what He has given me TODAY. Also, I can't expect God to give to me if I am too stubborn or stingy to give and share with others.

I cannot pray "FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US," if I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.
Forgiving means forgetting. In the greek it is "aphiemi" which means to let go, let alone, let be. I don't want God to hold a grudge against me, so I shouldn't hold a grudge against someone else.

I cannot pray "LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION," if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.
Since I have become celibate, I know that it would be dangerous for me to be alone with a guy in an intimate setting. I'd be setting myself up for failure. I can't ask God to "lead me not" if I'm already headed there myself.

I cannot pray "DELIVER US FROM EVIL," if I am not prepared to fight with my life and my prayer.
A guy at church told me how hard it is for him to separate from his old lifestyle. I told him to pray and not stop until God provided him with a way of escape. God promised he would: 1 Corinthians 10.13.

I cannot pray "THINE IS THE KINGDOM," if I am unwilling to obey the King.
In order for me to tell God that everything belongs to Him, I must act as if He is the ruler over my life. Not just when I need help, but all of the time.

I cannot pray "THINE IS THE POWER AND THE GLORY," if I am seeking power for myself and my own glory first.
Enough said.

I cannot pray 'FOREVER AND EVER," if I am too anxious about each day's affairs.
If God took care of me today, I must believe that He will take care of me "forever and ever".

I cannot pray "AMEN," unless I honestly say "Not MY will, but THY will be done, so let it be.
Thayer's Greek lexicon says that Amen was said by those listening to prayer as a way of taking the substance of what was said and making it their own. I need not say Amen if I don't agree with what came before it.

No comments:

Post a Comment