Monday, July 13, 2009

The "Get Out of Hell Free" card is not accepted in Heaven . . .

Ephesians 4.22-24 (MSG)
22.Since, then, we do not have the excuse of ignorance, everything - and I do mean everything - connected with that old way of life has to go. It's rotten through and through. Get rid of it! And then take on an entirely new way of life - a God-fashioned life,
23.a life renewed from the inside
24.and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces his character in you.

Hebrews 10.26 (GWD)
26.If we go on sinning after we have learned the truth, no sacrifice can take away our sins.

There is a belief among some Christians that "once saved, always saved". We think that Christ's death and Resurrection, being baptized and going to church automatically signs us for entry into Heaven. We pray empty prayers and quote scripture yet continue in sin like we have a "Get Out of Hell Free" card tucked safely in our wallet. This is a dangerous misconception. Yes, once Christ died for us, that act only needed to happen once to cover the totality of all sin to come. The problem is understanding the difference between committing a sin and living in sin.

We understand that we will falter, we were born into sin and direct our own wills, so God gives us mercy and grace to help us in that regard. However, once we sin, we are to repent (turn away) and avoid repeating that act. . .

If I become overwhelmed about a lack of money and commit an act that is dishonest, I am to confess, ask for forgiveness and choose to work on increasing my faith in God instead of relying on self in order to avoid repeating the sin. Mercy says that God will withhold the punishment I really deserve because of this fallacy. Grace says that he will continue to bless me in spite of the fact that I have sinned and do not deserve it. In this example, I have "committed a sin".

Now, suppose I meet Mr. Wonderful, the man I have prayed for forever. We plan to marry, but the timing just isn't right. Unfortunately, my desire for him physically is killing me and I give in. The next day, I confess, ask for forgiveness and choose to renew my commitment to waiting for sex until we are married. Then, the next time we are together it happens again. I repeat my confession, begging for forgiveness, etc. but can't seem to stick with my commitment to wait. In this example, I am "living in sin" - I have disregarded the truth of God's Word and submitted to fulfilling my own desires. Now, mercy can't help me because I have not repented (turned away from the act). Grace is of no use to me, because God will not "bless my mess". But this isn't to say that it's too late to repent, only that repentance isn't complete unless I turn away from the sin. Then, mercy will withhold the punishment I truly deserve for breaking God's law; and Grace will give me the blessing of making us able to marry to avoid the sin.

If you read all of the promises that God makes to us in the Scriptures, you will notice that each is attached to a condition:

"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37.4

"Bring ye all the tithes . . . and I will pour you out blessings . . ." Malachi 3.10

". . . if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves, pray, search for me, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear [their prayer] from heaven, forgive their sins, and heal their country." 2 Chron 7. 14

"We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God - those whom he has called according to his plan." Romans 8.28

Please know that God has a plan for each of us that He has called into His family. He is shaping us to be like Him, so that we can be with Him in eternity. Unless we submit ourselves to His plan, we can not be transformed. We can not use Christ's sacrifice, our baptism or "doing church" as a "Get out of Hell Free" card. We must surrender ourselves to His Holy Spirit so that we can be taught, led and directed in the way that our lives should go in order to fulfill God's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment